- Maps and Directions
- Earth 499 Independent Study Course Agreement
- Links Related to Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Links to Regional Partners and Affiliates
- Business Office Resources
- Email Access Links
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
Technological Institute F374
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Use the Tech Room Finder to find a room within the Technological Institute
If you are interested in saving money and seeing the city, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) buses and trains are a great option. Use the CTA Trip Planner Tools to find the best route to Northwestern from your hotel or from O'Hare Airport.
303 Taxi Service is a suburban taxi service that our department relies on regularly. If you are eligible for travel reimbursements from our department, please be sure to save your receipt!
If you choose to drive your own vehicle, please be aware of high travel times from 7:00-9:00am and at 4:00-6:00pm CST. Tune into local radio stations such as 720 WGN or 780 WBBM for traffic updates. We recommend using Google Maps for route planning.
Short-term parking is available on the streets to the west of Northwestern University. Use of NU Campus Parking lots is for invited guests only, and it requires a temporary parking pass. Please contact our business office for more information on parking passes. Note: if you are staying overnight at an area hotel, free parking may be available.
Directions from O'Hare International Airport
Airport Taxis: The ride to Evanston takes 35-50 minutes, depending on traffic and weather. Visit a Taxi Stand at the curbs outside the Baggage Claim in order to call a licensed taxi. The fare to Evanston can be anywhere between $40 - $80 depending on traffic and taxi availability. 303 Taxi is the Chicago-area cab company that we recommend. Call them at 847.256.0303 to pre-arrange your cab ride, and be sure to mention that you are affiliated with Northwestern University for a discounted fare.
Rideshare: Rideshare services are also available for transport from O’Hare airport. Please see these instructions for a list of appropriate loading zones for rideshare services.
The "L": (Chicago Transit Authority Train): The Elevated Train, or "L", offers a scenic ride through the varied neighborhoods of Chicago and is the best option if you are traveling on a very low budget (under $3.00). It is also by far the most time-consuming way to go from O'Hare to Evanston. Excellent on-line maps of the EL routes are available at the CTA website or through Google Maps. Take the Blue Line from O'Hare to downtown Chicago (approximately 45 minutes). Change at the Washington and State Street station to the Red Line, and take it northbound to Howard Street. After approximately 45 minutes you will arrive at the Howard terminal. Switch to the Purple Line and exit at Noyes Street (for the Tech Institute) or Davis Street (for downtown Evanston hotels). During rush hours (5:30am to 9:30am, and 3:30pm to 5:30pm) you can save 15 minutes by changing to the Purple Line at an earlier stop.
PACE Bus: Pace Suburban Bus Service provides bus transportation from O’Hare’s Remote Lot E (Kiss 'n' Fly) accessible via the Airport Transit System (ATS). Pace Route 250 Dempster Street offers ride from O’Hare to downtown Evanston, Davis Street Purple Line CTA Station. The walk from the station to Tech takes about 20 minutes and is around one mile.
- Weinberg College
- Northwestern University
- Seeley G. Mudd Library
- Integrated Science Program
- Environmental Sciences Program
- Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern (ISEN)
- AGI (American Geological Institute)
- AGU (American Geophysical Union)
- CIW (Carnegie Institution of Washington)
- GS (Geochemical Society)
- GSA (Geological Society of America)
- Goddard Space Flight Center
- The InterRidge Home Page
- IRIS (Incorporated Research Institutions For Seismology)
- JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
- Mineralogical Society of America
- NSF (National Science Foundation)
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- NCAR ( National Center for Atmospheric Research)
- ODP (The Ocean Drilling Program)
- UNAVCO (University NAVSTAR Consortium)
- Field Museum
- Adler Planetarium
- iBuyNU: Northwestern's preferred vendor marketplace. Order from NU preferred vendors quickly and easily.
- NUPortal: The dashboard used to access various financial systems and applications.
- NUFinancials: Northwestern's main financial management system. Used for procurement, expenses, and payment.
- GSTS: Graduate program planning and tracking tool for students and their committee members.
Employees of the university, i.e. anyone who is paid regularly by the university, are able to enter their own expense reports for reimbursement using the NUFinancials System. Please see the Business Office contacts above to get acquainted with the NUFinancials System and for further details on how to enter expense reports.
All receipts must be original and they must be itemized in order to be reimbursed. You should process your reimbursement within 30 days of travel, but definitely before 90 days have passed since your date of return. If you are missing proper receipts, processing a reimbursement more than 90 days from your last date of travel, or have any other policy exception, please fill out the appropriate form below explaining the reason why. Include this form in your expense report.
Travel and Entertainment Policies
- Travel Entertainment and Courtesy Policy(PDF)
- WCAS Quick Guide - Useful Excerpts from Travel and Entertainment Policies (PDF)
- Chicago and Evanston NU Hotel Discounts
- Evanston NU Restaurant Fixed Price Menus